- In case the seats reserved for SC, ST and PwD candidates are not filled completely, a limited number of candidates are admitted to a preparatory course of one-year duration on the basis of further relaxation of admission criteria Rank lists.
- Admission is given to the candidates in the preparatory course provided (i) the seats reserved for the respective category are vacant, (ii) candidates satisfy minimum norms, and (iii) candidates have not undergone the preparatory course earlier.
- All the sixteen IITs and ISM run preparatory courses of one year duration for SC, ST and PwD candidates intended to prepare them to pursue the academic program (for session 2016-17) to which they have been allocated to. At the end of this course, the candidate is declared as “pass” or “fail”.
- On successful completion of the course, the students will be offered direct admission in July 2016 (Academic Year 2016-17) to the already allotted undergraduate course.
- Candidates admitted to the preparatory course are also eligible to appear for JEE (Advanced) 2016 subject to fulfilling other eligibility criteria.
- Filling-in of choices for preparatory courses is also through the same online portal.